Permits and Forms

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Address Changes

In order to keep our municipal records consistent with those officially filed at the Government of Alberta's Land Titles Office, residents looking to change or update their address with the County will now have to make those changes through the Land Titles Office.

We will no longer be making address changes without receiving the changes officially through the Land Titles Office. You can find the Notice of Change of Address form here.

Burn Permits

Cardston County residents wishing to conduct an open fire must acquire a burn permit before proceeding with the burn. You can contact our shop at (403) 653-3712 between hours of 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. to obtain a burn permit.

The burn permitting system was established so our fire departments can keep track of open fires and so we know which open fires are controlled burns and which could be wildfires. Residents who proceed with an open fire without first acquiring a permit will be responsible for the costs of our fire departments responding to the burn.

Development Permits

Cardston County would like to remind residents that development permits are required for any new development. You can pick up a development permit application from our office or print one off from our website. We encourage residents to contact our Director of Planning Services at (403) 653-4977 prior to submitting a development permit application to ensure that the proposed development complies with our Land Use Bylaw and that any necessary information has been provided.

Subdivision Applications
The Oldman River Regional Services Commission (ORRSC) is the subdivision agent for thirty-eight municipalities in southern Alberta, including Cardston County. ORRSC provides a number of services to its member municipalities related to subdivision including: reviewing and screening applications, processing applications, formulating recommendations and endorsing subdivision finalizations.

You can learn more about the subdivision process on the ORRSC website.

Business Licenses
All businesses operating within Cardston County must first obtain a business license. To obtain a business license, download our Business License Form. After filling out the form and ensuring all information is complete and correct, forms can either be brought to the County Office or mailed, faxed or emailed to us.

For County residents, there is a compulsory fee of $25.00. If you would like a regional business license, there is an additional fee of $80.00. Once your business license request is processed at the office, they will be mailed or they can be picked up at the County Office.

Cardston County and both the Town of Cardston and the Town of Magrath have an agreement in place to honour each other's business licenses. This allows our residents in the County to provide their services to the residents of the Town of Cardston and Magrath without having to purchase an additional Town license.